Difference Between RAM and ROM?: RAM and ROM come in the most important things of a computer, today we are going to tell you, what is RAM? What is ROM? And will also tell what is the difference between RAM and ROM, and how they are used.
Have you ever wondered what is RAM? Or what is ROM? If yes, then today you are going to get to know a lot about them, and you will also know what is the difference between RAM and ROM today. If you have used a computer, or do, then today you will get to learn a lot.
RAM and ROM
You and all of us are connected to the Internet today through computers and mobiles and do our work day and night through this, but do you know that there are many such things in your mobile and computer, due to which all our work is completed.
On computers, we do all our necessary things to make it easy. And in today’s time, the importance of computer has become, even more, nowadays almost everyone has a computer, and they use it according to their own way and usage.
To know the basic difference between RAM and ROM, first of all, we have to know what is RAM and ROM and what are their functions. Following is the meaning, function of RAM and ROM.
Read Also – PNG Full Form: What is PNG format?
Let us know, what is RAM, and what is ROM, as well as after that we will tell you what is the difference between RAM and ROM. So let’s know.
What is RAM?
The full form of RAM is “Random Access Memory”, which is also called Main Memory of Computer. This is a temporary storage i.e. as soon as the device is turned off, the data stored in it is automatically removed. After that data cannot be brought back. That is the reason, Why RAM is also called volatile memory. This is a memory consisting of a semiconductor and a flip-flop.
For example, if you open a file stored in the internal memory of your mobile, then the memory on which that file runs is RAM. So when we run many apps on our device simultaneously, then our device slows down due to an increase in RAM load. Generally, there are two types of RAM:
Types of RAM
The Data and instructions are stored in the cells in RAM. Every cell is made up of some rows and columns, which have their own unique address. It is also called a cell path. CPU can get different data from these cells.
Read Also – Gif Full Form: What are GIFs and their use?
There are two types of RAM
1. Static RAM
Static RAM is the full form of SRAM. This type of RAM, data is stored using the state of a six transistor memory cell. Static RAM is mostly used as the cache memory for the processor (CPU).
2. Dynamic RAM
DRAM means dynamic random access memory. It is a type of RAM that allows you to store each bit of data in a separate capacitor within a specific capacitor circuit. Dynamic RAM (DRAM) is a standard computer memory of many modern desktop computers.
What is ROM?
The ROM full form is “Read Only Memory”. It is a type of computer memory that is used to store data. ROM is a type of permanent memory. Meaning that even after turning off the computer, the data store will remain in it, so where does it go to non-volatile memory.
It contains the programming required to start a PC, which is required for boot-up; It performs major input/output functions and holds program or software instructions.
How many types of ROM are there?
- PROM- (PROGRAMMABLE READ ONLY MEMORY)
- MRON- (MASKED READ ONLY MEMORY)
- EPROM- (ERASABLE AND PROGRAMMABLE READ ONLY MEMORY)
- EEPROM- (ELECTRICALLY ERASABLE AND PROGRAMMABLE READ ONLY MEMORY)
- EAROM- (ELECTRIC ATERABLE READ ONLY MEMORY)
Let us tell you that when we were searching about RAM on the internet, and trying to know about them from our close ones, a lot has come in front of us, some people did not even know that after all, What are both.
Apart from this, if we talk about some people who were using a smartphone or laptop for a long time, they knew about them, but they were all unaware of what is the difference between them. Let us start now, and try to know what are the big differences between these two.
What is the difference between RAM and ROM?
- RAM is essential for the speed of any mobile and computer, and ROM is used as storage in any device.
- The data in RAM is there only for a short time or until the device is refreshed or restarted, whereas the data in ROM is there until the desired deletion is done.
- In ROM, you can store data in MB i.e. megabyte. In the same RAM, data can be stored in GB.
- RAM is used to store the data that is yet to be run by the CPU. ROM can only be read by the CPU. CPU cannot make any changes to it.
- Both ROM and RAM are parts of the motherboard but without RAM the motherboard cannot function, but having ROM is not essential for the motherboard to function. That is, ROM does not matter as much to any device as RAM.
- No power supply is required to store the information in the ROM chip whereas the stored information is also deleted when the power supply for RAM is removed.
- One major difference between ROM and RAM is that data can be saved in ROM even without power whereas in RAM it is not.
- RAM is relatively faster than ROM, ROM is much more sluggish. The reason for this is also that RAM saves only one image of any data, while ROM copies the data completely.
- If you want to save data in ROM, then let us tell you that for this you have to go through a long process. Although it is the opposite in RAM, in this you can save data very fast.
- The process of storing data in ROM is very long and in RAM this process is done very fast.
- RAM and ROM seem to have similar names and their work is also similar but there is a difference between the two and both are used for different reasons. They are used in computers, tablets, etc.
There are many such things in the computer which are beyond the comprehension of the common man. Many people use a computer but are unaware of its hardware, if they are asked about anything from its hardware, they do not have any information.