Day by day progress is being made in the technology sector. Everything is slowly moving towards digital, so the space for physical SIM cards is running out. Physical SIM cards are being replaced with eSIM (Embedded Subscriber Identity Module) in various smartphones.
Let us tell you that eSIM can be downloaded directly from the smartphone, for this no SIM card tray is required. Jio, Vi (Vodafone Idea) and Airtel are providing eSIM facility to their users. Let’s know about e-SIM (eSIM) in detail.
Advantages and Disadvantages of eSIM
Before knowing how to get the e-SIM, it is much important to know about the advantages and disadvantages of e-SIM cards. First of all let’s talk about what are the benefits of e-SIM.
Advantages of eSIM Card
It is a good option for those who travel abroad. You can buy the e-SIM directly as soon as you reach abroad and it will be delivered to you in a matter of seconds. On the other hand, if you use a traditional SIM card, then you will have to go to the store and wait in line for your turn.
One more advantage of e-SIM is that you do not need extra space in mobile. Also, there is no fear of losing it. On the other hand, talking about its disadvantages, the first thing is that e-SIM is expensive. Along with this, it works on only a few phones.
- You do not need to physically change the SIM card for a new SIM.
- There is no need of SIM tray in the device for e-SIM.
- In this, users can quickly and easily switch to another operator without changing any physical SIM card.
- With its help, you can connect e-SIM to more than one device simultaneously. For example, if you have a smartwatch and a smartphone, then you can connect both to the same e-SIM.
- Due to being embedded in the phone of e-SIM, it stores all the information of the subscriber. It is used to identify and authenticate the mobile subscriber.
- To activate e-SIM, one does not have to wait till the old SIM is deactivated, so it is very easy to activate it.
- It can store multiple cellular profiles, thus it works seamlessly all over the world.
- e-SIM is more secure than traditional SIM card.
Apart from this, bugs and other problems with e-SIM can be seen in the operating system.
Also Read – IT Rules 2021: What are the new IT Rules?
What are the Disadvantages of eSIM?
While e-SIM has advantages, it also has some disadvantages which are as follows:
- If your phone gets damaged, then with a traditional SIM card, you can easily transfer your data, such as messages, contacts, etc. to the new phone. But this is not possible in e-SIM devices and the user has to depend on the cloud to get the data.
- This can create problems for users who want to protect themselves from being tracked while using e-SIM. Tracking from the operator could have been avoided by removing the traditional SIM card from the device, but due to the fit of the e-SIM in the device itself, it is impossible to do so.
- Here the possibilities of hacking of e-SIM data from cloud hosting are also high.
- If you are using e-SIM on multiple devices and changing your operator at regular intervals, then in such a situation it can cause confusion. If all your devices are connected to e-SIM, then you have to activate SIM with the help of software of those devices, which can be full of confusion.
- To activate e-SIM, you have to contact the operator and you can activate the SIM only by entering the User ID and password sent by them.
- If your phone’s battery is low and you want to make calls by connecting e-SIM to any other device, then difficulties may arise, because e-SIM takes time to activate.
How to buy eSIM?
For VI Users (Vodafone Idea)
If you are a Vodafone Idea customer then you can get eSIM from Vi Store. However, the company (VI – Vodafone Idea) is currently providing this facility only to its postpaid customers.
Apart from this, Vi is offering this facility only to its customers in Mumbai, Gujarat, Delhi, Maharashtra and Goa. Users will also need a device with eSIM support. Users can get a SIM by visiting the Vi store by giving their ID proof and completing the KYC process.
For Jio Users
On the other hand, talking about Jio, consumers can go to the nearest store and get the eSIM card by showing the required documents. After following all the required things, users can get eSIM card from Jio Store. Airtel has also started the facility of eSIM for its users.
For Airtel Users
For this, users will have to SMS by writing eSIM (Space) register email id to 121. After this, users will get a SMS for confirmation of eSIM. Users will have to tap 1 within 60 seconds of receiving the message. Then You have to give your confirmation through voice call and After this the user will get a QR code on the registered email address. After 2 hours the eSIM will be activated.
Future of eSIM
There is no doubt that the future of eSIM is very bright. The way big companies like Google and Apple are adopting eSIM, the future of eSIM looks quite golden. With the advent of this new technology, it has become quite easy for the users to change the operator.
You can get your eSIM activated through just a simple phone call without reaching any store. Also, there is no need for any kind of physical change.
Along with this, it is playing a role in improving mobile devices as well. Traditional SIM cards occupy a lot of space in devices, but due to the size of eSIM being small and embedded, the size of mobile can also be reduced.
Also, it helps to make the devices more waterproof and dustproof, because the chances of water and dust getting into the device are further reduced due to the absence of a SIM tray.
Also Read – What is Bitcoin ? Do you Know the Pros & Cons ?